December 18, 2011


God Had to Do This

Throughout the existence of our ministry we have prayed that whenever the Lord put us into a permanent facility that it would happen in such a way that those who hear the story would have to say that only God could do that. He started answering that in November of 2007. After church one Sunday a man pulled into the parking lot and wanted to talk. He attended a church two miles down the road that had been struggling. They had a faithful group of people but were in need of a pastor. After talking we both decided to pray and talk again. After much prayer and seeking legal advice the process to merge the two churches began.  On February 24th, 2008, after the merger was completed, we held our building dedication.

In May of 2013, the Lord called Pastor Cary Grant back to Ohio to Pastor the church he had served as Assistant Pastor before coming to Refuge Baptist.

In November of 2013, the church called David Jones as our Pastor. He had served faithfully as Assistant Pastor at Calvary Baptist Church in Huntsville, Alabama for ten years and earlier at Grace Baptist Church in Panama City, Florida for twelve years.

In the fall of 2014, the church voted to renovate the downstairs Sunday School rooms and Fellowship Hall. Evangelist Richard Boyle and Mr. Mark Armstrong spearheaded the project and served along with men from the church to complete the renovation. The cost for this project was approximately $10,000 from reserved funds and donations.

In January 2015, the church took on the support of Joey and Jenny Tacon as missionaries to Italy. The Tacons have two teenage children, Maddie and Alex. They serve with Baptist World Mission in Decatur, Alabama.

In December 2015, David Jones returned to Alabama for financial reasons (he had been unable to sell his home in Huntsville and also had some other unanticipated financial burdens that made he return necessary).  The church was sad to see him leave, but understood that God was in control of the situation and would provide a new pastor.

In December 2016, after a year of searching for a new pastor, the church called John Larrabee to be interim pastor.